Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Soren and Mariane, continued


Since my last post, I haven't been able to shake the image of Soren dying in squalor in Council Bluffs. So I dug a little deeper into the cache of Caldwell-McIntosh information provided by our cousins, and have reconfigured/edited/organized/added to the Soren Web page. It's still far from complete, but it scratches a little more of the history regarding Mariane Madsen Pedersen Christensen Guhl (pictured at right) and even the marriage to his first wife: Kerstine or Kristine Harde.

There are many conflicts in the record, as far as I can tell. On the LDS Church's familysearch.org website, for example -- I haven't yet investigated how the records might be different on the much more detailed newfamilysearch site -- there appear to be extra children in the family/families.

There also is no record that I have yet found about a divorce between Mariane -- our direct ancestor -- and Soren. There's even some conflicting information about his "first" family's whereabouts after his involvement with the Morrisites.

Perhaps I've prompted more questions than I've answered, but it's all quite interesting -- at least to me -- and I'm determined to keep looking through the Caldwell-McIntosh trove for answers, as well as other avenues of investigation. Soren made the papers here in Utah, and he may well have been mentioned in papers in Soda Springs, Idaho (if they had one), Deer Lodge, Mont. (if they had one) and perhaps even additional mentions in the Council Bluffs, Iowa, paper besides his obituary.

Anyway, if you have time to look through the updated page, let me know what I've missed, messed up or where I might find more information.

No comments: