Saturday, December 13, 2008

First Postcard Page is Up and Running

Finally, after much back and forth between me and my Web hosting service, my ability to send and retrieve files to the family Web site has been restored.

The upshot is: The first page of 10 postcards -- Grandma Henderson's -- is on the site. To see them, click here. I've done things a little differently this time around.

First of all, to see the reverse sides of the postcards, simply click on the images. A lot of them were written in pencil, so they may be difficult to read. I haven't attempted to decipher any of them yet, but I hope some of you will. When you do, and you find something interesting -- to you or that you think might interest others who read this blog -- click on the "comments" link below and let us know what you've found.

Or, if you'd rather, let me know I've done something wrong, or if you have an idea for doing things better on the Web site go ahead and post that, too. It won't hurt my feelings, really.

I've heard back that some of you may be reluctant to participate -- or simply do not understand the whole process or philosophy of blogging. I'm not professing to have any special insights, either, but I think this tool (the blog) will help us connect a little more efficiently as a family outside of our annual reunions. Plus, I think if we all contribute with stories and insights into the events and memories contained on the Web site, it'll will help us all to understand a little more deeply the history of our family and the ongoing value of our relationships to each other.

Please don't limit your comments to the postcards. There are lots of things on the site that should pique your interest. The "Mary's letters" pages contain a wealth of information about her early life, and that of Grandpa Henderson. For example, did you know he drove a stagecoach between Burlington and Meeteetse, Wyoming? You would, if you looked at his eulogy. There's even a short autobiography he wrote for Carole Henderson (Carlos and Marguerite's daughter).

So, please take a few minutes to have a look at the Web site and start connecting with cousins and other family members through this tool.

2 comments:

M. Sue McIntosh Adams said...

Don, Thank you for the email alerting me to your new web setup! This is a great idea! I hadn't been on for awhile...I love the wonderful treasure Helen found of the postcards!!!!! It will take me awhile to read all of them but I can tell already we should be able to glean some fun history from them! How cool that they had leather postcards! Keep up the site and keep up the good work you do with it! I greatly appreciate it! I will be sure to post on our FamSite a connection to your blog. Thanks again, M. Sue McIntosh Adams-daughter of Kent and Carolina Burns McIntosh-granddaughter of Fon and Berenice Koetter McIntosh and Pat and Evelena Robinson Burns.

Anonymous said...

Sue, I know some of the postcards are from your direct-line relatives. Also, have you looked at the travel journal? She journeyed from Wyoming back to her hometown of St. John, and Salt Lake and other locations, staying with family and making all kinds of notes about them. Look, too, at the 1910 photo book; there are all sorts of people in that book I don't recognize, so maybe you'll be able to help us identify them. Thanks for visiting the site, and for mentioning it on the McIntosh Family site.